A natural & healthy pregnancy is initiated when a chromosomally normal egg ( oocyte ) is ovulated from ovary during fertile period , enters open ( patent ) fallopian tube , gets fertilised with a healthy sperm. The resulting embryo then enters uterine cavity at blastocyst stage & implants in a receptive lining of uterus (endometrium )during the implantation window
- In women with regular menstrual cycle usually single egg (oocyte) is released from ovary each month after 10-16 days of period . This process is known as ovulation.
- Cervical mucous & vaginal secretions become thin & start to increase in amount 5-6 days before ovulation with peak 2-3 before ovulation.
- After release from ovary the egg remains suitable for fertilization for approximately 18 hours.
- While a healthy sperm may retain potential to fertilize oocyte for nearly 2 to 6 days from the day of ejaculation.
- Pregnancy is most likely to happen if sexual intercourse happens every 1-2 day, starting from 6 days before ovulation till the day of ovulation
- This time window between day 8-18 of period is considered fertile period.
- A fertile couple has best chance of pregnancy in first 3 month of trial which is in range of 20-37 %.
- Approximately 80 % couple conceive by the end of 1st year of trial for pregnancy.
- By the end of 2nd year, nearly 90 % couple conceive.
- Woman over 35 years & men over 50 years of age have lower chance of conception due to decrease in egg & sperm quality.
It’s recommended to seek evaluation of fertility if you are suspecting any of the following –